Ayutthaya or full name is "Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya"
one of the famous old capital city of Thailand which the Ayutthaya
was found in 1350 King U-Thong. The greate period of Ayutthaya being
the Thai capital, 33 Kings of different dynasties ruled. The Ayutthaya
was destroyed during the Burmese rampage of 1767.
Doing and Sights seeing
CHAO SAM PHARYA NATIONAL MUSEUM
This museum is one of the nice place for traveller like the Thai
Fine Arts and Handicraft in Ayutthaya era. You will find various
of the original antiques which
if you have free time let visit there. Ayutthaya Historical Study
Centre and is open everyday from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm. It is worth
AYUTTHAYA HISTORICAL PARK
Ayutthaya Historical Park opposite the Chao Sam phraya National
Museum which it was funded by the Japanese government and contains
and excellent exhibit. The attraction is as Viharn Phra Mongkol
Bophit as one of the largestcoated bronze Buddha images in Thailand.
CHANKASEM OR FRONT PALACE NATIONAL MUSEUM
Chankasem was found in period of reign of King Maha Thammaraja,
the 17 Ayutthaya monarch. This palace is similar with other palaces
which was destroyed by the Burmese and unrepaired for long time.
The museum open Wednesday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
WIHAN PHRAMONGKHON BOPHIT
Wihan Phramongkhon Bophit located near the south of Wat Phra Si
The attraction is large bronze cast Buddha image.
WAT PHRA SI SANPHET
Wang Lung Palace (Royal Palace) was built by King U-Thong upon
the founding of the city. In Ayutthaya's heyday, this was the largest
wat in the city. Admission is Bt20 and give you entry to the palace
just to the north as well. The wat is at the northern end of Si
WAT PHRA MAHATHAT and WAT RATBURONA
These two wats are separated by Naresuan Road and were built on
the command of King Borom Rachathirat II after his two elder brothers
died during an elephant back duel to contest the crown. Ther ruins
here are still in quite impressive condition and are well worth
a look. Admission is Bt20 to each site.
WAT YAI CHAIYA MONGKHON
Located to the Southeast of the island, this wat's chedi is visible
from most of town. Built by King Naresuan in 1592 to commemorate
his single handed victory on elephant back, the Chedi now has a
distinct tilt, but still can be entered via the stairs. Adminssion
CHAO PHANAN CHOENG
Also the Southeast of the island, this wat can be reached boat
from the fortress ruins. It was built before Ayutthaya was established
as the capital and it is believed to have been originally constructed
by Khmers. The main sitting Buddha within is 10 m tall, and is highly
revered by the residents of Ayutthaya.
WAT PHRA MANE
The most interesting fact about this wat is that it escaped destruction
when the Burmese were burning everything down. It was from the grounds
of this wat that the Burmese King Chao Along Phaya decided to fire
a cannon at the Grand Palace. Admission is Bt10 and the wat is just
over the bridge near Si Sanphet Road.
WAT PHU KHAO THONG
This wat is about 5 km Northwest of town and has a huge stupa which
can be seen from the highway. The wat was built by King Ramesuan
in 1378. The wat also contains a Buddha footprint from Saraburi.
The main feature here is a 29-m reclining Buddha made of brick
and covered in white plaster. The wat itself is in a complete state
of ruins showing a few hexagonal pillars and enough bricks to see
where the buildings and rooms must have once stood.
This wat is still in remarkably good condition. It was built by
King Prasat Thong in 1630 in honour of his mother, and the building
served as a Royal monastery. the prangs and pagodas are similar
in style to Khmer designs, purposely done so as to commemorate the
victory over the Khmers. Entry to the wat is Bt20.
BANG PA-IN PALACE
Bang Pa-In Palace is 18 km south of Ayutthaya which the Bang Pa-In
Palace was found by Prasat Thong became the Ayutthaya King period
1630 - 1655 as riverine island. Bang Pa-In was house of country
residence of every Ayutthaya monarch after King Prasat Thong. However,
the King Rama I moved the new capital to Bangkok. Bang Pa-In was
left unoccupied for 80 years. It is open daily from 8.30 m to 3.30
am. We commend you to visit for relax and copy photo of Thai Arts
WAT NIVET THAMMAPRAWAT
Outside the island itself, this wat is remarkable due to its gothic
style, unlike anything else in Thailand. Not suprisingly it was
built under the command of King Rama V in 1878.
ROYAL FOLK ARTS AND CRAFT AT BANG SAI
Royal Folk Arst and Crafts Center has area 285 rai (or 14 accres)
which the you can find the activites of farmers in the 4 regions
of Thailand. The attraction products and activities as Fern Vien
Basketry, Weaving Basketry, Artificial Flowers, Hand-Woven Silk
and Cotton, Silk Making and etc.
The Royal Folk Arts open everyday except Monday from 08:30 - 16:00
(admission fee 30 Baht)